Wednesday, December 3, 2014

frankly confused

Came across this odd quote from Legs McNeil, in an interview, can't remember where...

"So when you got to New York you spent a lot of time CBGBs, what was it like back in the 70’s?

It was the most beautiful place I’d ever been in my life. Girls and beer. Cars, girls, surfing, beer, nothing else matters here. I live for cars and girls… woohoo…hot cars and girls."

Beer, girls - these are things that can be found most everywhere in America. 

Surfing - you wouldn't necessarily think of New York as a surfer's paradise, I don't think. 

And then, perhaps most mystifyingly, cars. One thing about New York, it's not a great place to drive. Or to own a car. The few friends in NYC we knew who had one were always having to get up early to move their car to the other side of the street, on account of alternate-day parking rules, to do with street sweepers I think.  It's a pedestrian city, a public transport city.

I think he must have intended to move to LA and gone astray.  

3 comments:

Me said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoM2OyPL970

"Cars, girls, surfing, beer, nothing else matters here. I live for cars and girls… woohoo…hot cars and girls." -- those are the lyrics to the Dictators song "(I Live for) Cars and Girls", a NY punk ode to the Beach Boys from their first album. I'm guessing Legs is making that reference to describe the CBs music scene at the time.

Simon said...

Ah, mystery solved - what in cold print reads as drunken ramblings turn out to be rock'n'roll lyrics!

Still think it's an in-apt way to memorialize NYC.

And it's not much of worldview either.

Simon said...

Ah, what seemed like drunken ramblings turned out to be song lyrics.

Still seems not very apt as tributes to NYC go.

Or much of a worldview.