Sunday, March 10, 2019

gabi gabi gabi hey versus gorl power (love it to the Bohn)



Don't ask me why - given that my funds for buying records were restricted in those days - but I bought the Gabi Delgado solo album back in 1983 (?)

I think it might have been on one of those first-weeks-of-release Our Price discounts, 2.99 or even 1.99 jobs. The discount no doubt facilitated by the record company in hopes of getting it to enter the charts. That was a thing then, although more with 12 inch singles as I recall.

At any rate I took it back a week later and either made up some excuse and got a refund, or perhaps Ijust sold it on at the second hand place in Oxford, recouped some of the loss and applied to some other purchase. I can't remember

It wasn't very good - not a patch on the proper DAF albums I had taped off of Stubbs.





The Robert Gorl solo job (with Annie Lennox backing vocals) is better.  Good hook.

But not much better...









Gabi again - watch out for the strobing video, if you suffer from epileptic tendencies







Ever so cute, but not a great dancer really.

No, they were much, much better together, DAF.



Love it to the Bohn (bum bum) (mein herz macht...)











And Morley of course was a big fan, wrote a few sex-pol orgasm-as-revolution paeans to them, in his  homoeroticism-aspiring mode (see also paeans to Pete Murphy's lips, Kirk Brandon's ears, David Sylvian's being too fragile to fuck)





In a way, Propaganda was his consolation prize, or proxy - "this time, let's make it happen in the UK too". 


No comments: