Thursday, December 29, 2011

Steve Jones, in Hustler, on Glenn Matlock

"I'm tired of Glen Matlock saying he was the songwriter for the Sex Pistols. I co-wrote as many songs… but I don't go shouting about it. Every time I read it, it bugs me. If he was such a great songwriter, where are the songs after the Sex Pistols? It's just annoying."

He's got a point...







Then again, the jibe bounces back when you think about Jones's post-Pistols (post-Matlock, even) output







as my brother Jez sez, they all sound like "Silly Thing"





probably the only person on earth who remembers this supergroup of r'n'r lags (jones + cook + lynott) called the greedy basstards





but presumably Jones had a large hand in "Nobody is Innocent" aka "Cosh the Driver", one of the tracks done with Ronald Biggs and pretty great, and also the title track of The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle, which is really great



and then there was this



as covered by G'N R

pretty cruddy

still on balance Jones > Matlock

No comments: